"Peter" "Helen's Twin" "Jinny" 2005 Terracotta
- An idea of cultural representaion can be gained by comparing experiences fom travelling abroad (India) with the identitiy here in the Wester world.
- The hollow space in his vase-like pieces draws the viewers' attention to the surface which is perforated with holes and makes you aware of the inside cavity.
- Vase: a container for 'collecting' experiences (cultural identity).
- Go to India to make work rather than just looking (contributing to culture and society rather than being a tourist).
- Two identical casts: Second as detail in different context (history and future)
Between Visits to India: 1989-1997
“The body is a place: the site of consciousness”
I first visited India in 1989 to study temple architecture and sculpture, mainly in the south. Along the way I recorded thoughts and observations on a 25 metre “scroll diary”, which came to provide ideas and inspiration for a considerable number of works on return to Scotland.
Watercolour/Ink/Paper25 meters long
The work explores different ways of signifying the presence of a human body, through reductive forms, the inherent expressiveness of materials and architectural metaphor.